Nov 13, 2009

Last night when riding my bike home from work I stopped at Smith's grocery store to get some toilet paper. But let me rewind a couple hours back first. Picture me in the Bed & Breakfast kitchen making cinnamon rolls & getting irritated because of the INSANE draft that is in the kitchen...so my "bummness" kinda starts a trail of "feeling sorry for myself thoughts" which then makes me think of my best friends back East and how I miss everyone and wondering when will I see them again.... okay, now back in Smiths, got my toilet paper and as I am going to pay for it, I pass the magazine isle... I decide to stop and look through some magazines but hesitate because it is 11:30 pm and I NEED TO GET HOME! But I stop, and pick up Dwell... I quickly flip through it and come across an advertisement that caught me eye. This advertisement is for Parsons School of Design... Parsons is not what caught my eye because I just graduated from Parsons in May, it was the picture in the background! The picture is of a black organic pod formation that my best friend Ken came up with for this project that his architecture firm he works for called Matter, was doing for the ICP [International Center of Photography, in Manhattan] There were other pods throughout the ICP, and set up in a way to seem like they were seeping out of the walls. What is cool about this project though is that that is how Ken and I met, over 3 years ago. I helped make those pods. :) I am assuming that Parsons has permission to use that ad because Alfred who is co/owner of Matter Practice teaches in the Architecture dept.

So Best friend sighting #1 happens...and then after deciding to purchase Dwell [I don't think Ken knows about his design in the magazine] my eyes behold the last copy of Surface magazine! Robert, my other best friend told me a week or so ago that a couple of his pieces would be in this month's issue! Best friend sighting #2!!! Life is so funny, and random! How is it that I am standing there in the kitchen at work, sulking, missing my friends and then 3 hours later "run" into them in the magazine isle...even if it is in paper form. However, I still am wondering when will I see them. :)

also: Bessie Afnaim who is also featured here, was in me and Robert's class of 2009 graduates as well. Her work is really beautiful and since graduation she has been working with Donna Karan, which is perfect for her because that is always who comes to mind when I think of Bessie.


Ken's organic pod formation, this also got some great recognition in the New York Times!

2 comments:

Jessica Marie said...

My mom mentioned that the show, "Project Runway" will be filmed at Parson's next year, but that could just be a rumor. That is so great you came across these magz!

ROXY MARJ said...

:[) Actually Project Runway was already filmed there at my school...the last 5 or 6 [?] seasons...they have now just moved to FIDM [Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising] in California. :) Yeah...I thought it was too funny that I "ran" into them the other night...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...